USA Grants Banner

Assistance for home repair after loss of spouse?

asked 2014-09-01 17:47:27 -0700

Megan gravatar image

I have a relative who very, very, recently and unexpectedly had loss of their spouse. It seems like everything that can go wrong is going wrong. This poor relative has had everything from loss of income down to a very meager part time job, health issue and surgery, car problems, and now the roof on the home and load bearing wall need to be replaced and repaired. I am wondering does anyone know if there is any kind of assistance this person may qualify for at least the $20,000 cost of the roof replacement and wall repair? This person did get a small life insurance. I know this asset may determine eligibility but it would totally financially break this person who is already struggling through grief, income loss and so many other financial difficulties. Even buying food is on the list of becoming a hardship. This relative lives in Michigan.

Thanks for any suggestions and or links that may provide help for people in this kind of situation.

edit retag flag offensive close merge delete

1 answer

Sort by » oldest newest most voted

answered 2014-09-01 17:48:20 -0700

fgcguy gravatar image

So sorry for your relative's troubles! There are some programs out there which may provide direct assistance or very low interest loans, particularly if the situation requiring repair is a safety hazard. The Free Grants Community article about Grants For Home Repair is a good place to start. You might also contact the local office of Housing and Urban Development for information and advice.

edit flag offensive delete link more