USA Grants Banner

Where do I find an application for home repair or improvement?

asked 2015-07-07 09:03:48 -0700

robocop327 gravatar image

updated 2015-07-08 14:00:31 -0700

Nancy gravatar image

I have asked and looked everywhere trying to find an application to fill out for a Home improvement Grant or Loan. I don't want a site that says look here and here and leads nowhere. I just want a site that says this is an application for a Home Improvement loan or grant.

edit retag flag offensive close merge delete

1 answer

Sort by » oldest newest most voted

answered 2015-07-08 14:11:51 -0700

Mark gravatar image

You have not found such a site because it doesn't exist --- unfortunately it's not that straightforward. 

The only home improvement or repair "grants" that exist (to our knowledge) are offered by the Department of Agriculture. Qualifications include being 62 years old or more and living in specific rural areas. If you meet those qualifications you can find out how to pursue this type of grant either by going to the USDA website or by reading more information in an article called Grants for Home Repair. But be aware that neither of these sites will just present you with an application. 

If your home improvement is not considered to be a "luxury item" you might qualify for a HUD Title 1 Home Improvement Loan. These are guaranteed by the FHA so banks are more willing to lend. You need to find an approved lender in your area to pursue this option. You can do an internet search for your town or county or contact HUD's Customer Service line at 800-767-7468. 

edit flag offensive delete link more