USA Grants Banner

How do I apply for a home repair grant?

asked 2015-01-07 19:07:08 -0700

Kim gravatar image

updated 2015-01-08 16:28:49 -0700

Daniel gravatar image

I inherited my home in 2009. I have no mortgage to pay, just property tax once a year. I love my home but it has some areas that really NEED help. I'm afraid it's going to crumble before I'm financially able to make necessary home repairs. I'm not certain but I may also have a black mold problem too. I need information and guidance on these grants please. I want to keep my home and be healthy in it. How do I apply for a home repair grant?

edit retag flag offensive close merge delete

1 answer

Sort by » oldest newest most voted

answered 2015-01-08 16:40:26 -0700

Daniel gravatar image

Hi Kim -- first, congratulations on inheriting a home! Sorry to hear you are dealing with the need for home repair and maybe mold. As far as I know there is no single place where you can go and apply for a grant for home repair. However, there are a couple of resources you can try, and one of them is pretty new.

The first place to start would be your local HUD office. You could search for "HUD agency" and the name of your city, county or state to find the closest one, or call 1-800-569-4287. This is the federal Housing and Urban Development department, and depending on where you live there may be grants available to help you, especially if the problems with your home make it an unsafe or unhealthy place to live. There is also a new program called NeighborWorks. It is a nonprofit created by Congress to help homeowners in low income and middle class categories. They operate through a network of organizations across the country and may be able to refer you to someone who can help. To locate the program nearest you go to the NeighborWorks website and click on Our Network at the top and then on Network Directory. Then you can enter your state and/or zip code and see what it near you.

edit flag offensive delete link more