USA Grants Banner

Is there a grant to gravel a senior's dirt (mud) driveway?

asked 2017-01-11 21:25:14 -0700

Syron9 gravatar image

updated 2017-01-16 20:26:32 -0700

Tina gravatar image

Due to a conflict with a rural neighbor over his farm gate and a shared driveway...ours for 16 years, his for 14...a new, longer driveway had to be graded out utilizing a legal easement...   after him taking us to court to try and stop us from doing so.  As it turns out, a section of the new driveway is fairly stable, but the other is slightly lower and has turned out to be a soft, muddy stretch when wet. A bit of snow recently followed by a near-total thaw proved that a vehicle could be easily stuck in.  Is it possible to get a grant to get, at least, that section heavily graveled over or even covered with a thick layer of Red Dog, which is cheaper?  As it happens, it hasn't really rained or snowed here in a while.  It's been rather dry in NM the last couple of years, but even that inch or two of snow and the following melt was enough to show us that we could have a serious problem if we happened to have a real bout of precipitation. Is there a grant to gravel a senior's dirt (mud) driveway?

edit retag flag offensive close merge delete

1 answer

Sort by » oldest newest most voted

answered 2017-01-24 15:27:30 -0700

Tina gravatar image


Since you are in a rural area you might be able to get a guaranteed loan or even a grant (up to $7500) for your repair from the U.S. Department of Agriculture. They provide loans and grants to low-income homeowners who need to make repairs for health or safety reasons. Sounds like your driveway could qualify so it's worth checking out. Click on the name to learn more about the Rural Repair and Rehabilition program.

If that doesn't work you could contact your local HUD office to see if they have advice for you. Also check the local office of NeighborWorks, which might be able to direct you to a place where you could get a much more affordable loan.

edit flag offensive delete link more