USA Grants Banner

are there grants for home improvment

asked 2015-06-24 19:19:38 -0700

bigwood1 gravatar image

updated 2015-06-27 12:33:40 -0700

Nancy gravatar image

My wife and I became disabled in the middle of doing a home improvement project. Is there any government help out there for us to complete the project?

edit retag flag offensive close merge delete

1 answer

Sort by » oldest newest most voted

answered 2015-06-27 12:49:43 -0700

Denise gravatar image

Sorry to hear that Bigwood 1. Here are some possibilities for you:

- If the home improvement project has a direct impact on your health and safety and is even more necessary now that you are both disabled, you may be able to find a helpful resource on the government site regarding benefits and services for the disabled. Click here for a good review that explains how best to use that site.

- If you live in a rural area you might be able to get a HUD repair and rehabilitation grant. Check with your state's housing development agency or contact a local HUD (Housing & Urban Development) office.

- Finally, you may be able to refinance your home to a very low rate under the govrnment's HARP program. It has greatly reduced eligibility, tyically does not require an appraisa of your home, and it doesn't matter if your house is now worth more than your mortgage balance. You would end up with lower monthly mortgage payments and could spend your savings on your home improvement project. Or you might beable to take extra cash out with your new mortgage. You need to act quickly as the program goes away later this year. Check out this resource about HARP eligibility .

edit flag offensive delete link more