USA Grants Banner

Is there a grant that would help low income rental housing pay for building repairs?

asked 2016-08-05 16:11:29 -0700

iowafarmerzwife gravatar image

updated 2016-08-08 21:56:30 -0700

Webmaster gravatar image

I do the maintenance for our low income housing in a very small, poor community. We have enough funds to cover small repairs and updates, but need help with funds for larger items like roofing, siding, and windows. We are not, and forgive my lack of knowledge, the typical government housing, so we don't qualify for any grants I've been able to find so far, either state or federal. I live in southern Iowa in one of the poorest counties in the state. I just think if I look hard enough, I should be able to find help for these tenants. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

edit retag flag offensive close merge delete

1 answer

Sort by » oldest newest most voted

answered 2016-08-09 14:54:54 -0700

Marie gravatar image

Bless your heart and I hope I can point you in the right direction to find some help.

First I'd recommend you search to see if the organization "Rebuilding Together" has a location anywhere near you. Their mission is to help people like your tenants and they may be active in your area.

Though you are not in government housing, local government agencies do receive block grants from the federal government that are to be used to build up the community. Often these funds are used to help with home improvidement and repairs. Contact your local housing agency to see if they can provide any suggestions. 

Finally see if the article Grants for Home Repairs gives you additional leads. If you are 62 or older and live in a rural area you might be able to find an actual grant for repairs from the Department of Agriculture no less.  It's worth checking out -- some pretty well populated areas are still classified as "rural" and could therefore qualify for a grant.

edit flag offensive delete link more