USA Grants Banner

How can I get a grant to keep from losing my home?

asked 2016-05-02 13:12:27 -0800

updated 2016-05-02 20:39:19 -0800

Charles gravatar image

I am a self employed truck driver that has been driving for 50 years now. I was recently diagnosed with multiple myeloma cancer stage III. I have been off work since the first of April after the initial diagnosies. What income I do have left from my first three full months of work before being diagnosed is depleting quickly paying for extra medicine, medical bills and trying to keep from losing my home of 20 years. I am devasted, overwhelmed, stressed and don't know what I am going to do, I will be off work until at least the end of September if not till the end of the year. I have tried to apply for temporary disability through Social Security but was told I was not eligable because I am over the age of 66. I have a caregiver who has been and is still trying to help take care of me, my needs and find medical, drug and financial assitance but there is little help out there for me. Please tell me that you can help me not lose my home and dignity. I have worked all my life and payed my way. Now that I need help, there is little to none out there to be found due to lack of funds or I am too old. Do I just give up and lay here and die? Please help me till I can get back up on my feet again.

edit retag flag offensive close merge delete

1 answer

Sort by » oldest newest most voted

answered 2016-05-03 14:12:20 -0800

Charles gravatar image

So so sorry, Trucker. There is nothing fair about your situation. Here are a few suggestions that I really hope will help you:

- Contact the Patrick Dempsely Center for Cancer Hope & Healing. It's located in Maine but they say that anyone in any location can call. They say they provide free support, education and medicine to anyone who has cancer. Their phone number is 877-336-7287.

- Go to and see if they can offer any useful information or assistance -- that's what they're there for.

- Specifically regarding keeping your home as well as getting the medicines you need, get in touch with Legal Services Corporation. They are an independent nonprofit created by Congress and they may be able to give you advice and/or legal services and support.

edit flag offensive delete link more