USA Grants Banner

I need need help! Is there any money to help a single middle aged unemployed woman with rent arrearage and avoiding eviction?

asked 2014-10-03 11:23:23 -0800

updated 2014-10-08 19:34:00 -0800

Webmaster gravatar image

I live in Loves Park, IL, and I currently have been renting a tiny efficiency apartment. I became unemployed six months ago, cannot draw unemployment benefits, and have had no success to date of obtaining employment. I recently came out of the hospital where I spent a week for serious depression, this has been building up since before I became unemployed, and has kept me out of the job search loop temporarily. I have fallen behind on my rent substantially, and I have found a program through my township office to provide some aid, but cannot provide arrearage aid. So I need to know where "exactly" can I look for positive phone numbers, and names of good sites to check, I am seriously frustrated and worried, and need someone's assistance and advice.  Thank you

edit retag flag offensive close merge delete

1 answer

Sort by » oldest newest most voted

answered 2014-10-04 10:38:21 -0800

Nancy gravatar image

Hi Kristin, so sorry about your troubles. I would recommend you first contact your local HUD housing counsel agency. They provide housing counseling free of charge. The best way to find the agency nearest you is to call HUD tollpfree at 1-800-569-4287.

Also seek out whatever free or low-cost legal assistance is available to help you avoid eviction. We found an outfit that provides free legal aid in Rockford: Prairie State Legal Services, Inc. Their phone number is 1-815-965-2902.

edit flag offensive delete link more