USA Grants Banner

Am I qualified for a grant to remodel my home?

asked 2017-06-12 17:13:49 -0800

jml1934 gravatar image

updated 2017-06-12 17:22:21 -0800

Mary gravatar image

My wife and I need some major changes to our home to make it more handicap accessible for me.  I spent 24 years in the Air Force in the service of our country.  My wife has more medical conditions than I have.  My condition is I have arthritic knee joints. I had a full knee replacement and as a result the major nerve that runs on the outside of my leg was damaged and left me in constant pain.  The government saw fit to give me an eletric wheelchair which I haven't  been able to use much because my house was not built for wheelchair access.  Also we need a walk-in-shower for the both of us.  I have fallen twice trying to get out of the bathtub and once trying to get in.  My legs just won't do what I ask them to do all the time.  I'm affraid that my wife or myself are going to fall snd brake a hip or something else. I'm 82 years old and my wife is 76. We are hoping to spend the rest of our years living here. Do you think I'm quilified for a grant? And the sooner the better if possible.

edit retag flag offensive close merge delete

1 answer

Sort by » oldest newest most voted

answered 2017-06-14 10:59:41 -0800

Mary gravatar image

First, thank you for your service. I would recommend checking with the VA to see if you qualify for any benefits you're not aware of. This review of veterans' grants may also be helpful.

Also take a look at this article about Disability Grants for guidance to helpful resources.

And be sure to check your state's website. Many states have programs to assist the disabled in making their homes more accessible, safe and liveable. It certainly seems that you would qualify for such a program. 

edit flag offensive delete link more