USA Grants Banner

Are there grants for bathroom remodeling?

asked 2015-01-11 10:43:35 -0700

Ruthi gravatar image

updated 2015-01-12 17:34:19 -0700

Denise gravatar image

My husband is disabled and I need to get rid of the tub so he can shower. I need a shower where the floor would slope to the drain. The floor and walls also need tiling. He needs assistance from his wheel chair to shower area so a build-in seat at the right height would be great. Also we need a hand held shower extender.

edit retag flag offensive close merge delete

1 answer

Sort by » oldest newest most voted

answered 2015-01-13 08:28:01 -0700

Denise gravatar image

Hi Ruth, there are a number of resources you can try:

If your husband is on Medicare or is a Vet, you might check with both those organizations to see what assistance they provide. Projects tthat are for safety and/or which might keep someone out of a nursing home could qualify, particularly if the disability is the result of military service.

Another strong possibility is your local State Assistive Technology Project. This is a government-created, non-profit, nationwide organization that helps people afford and get access to the types of aids you need for your bathroom. I believe they have some grant money or at the very least affordable loans and can help you with an amount up to $5000 for bathroom remodeling. They would also be an excellent source for additional referrals to places that could help. You should be able to find the office nearest you by doing a search with the name of your state and the words "State Assistive Technology Project.

If you are over 62 and live in a very rural area you should also check the website of the U.S. Department of Agriculture as they actually provide grants to qualifying folks to fix up their homes.

edit flag offensive delete link more