USA Grants Banner

Is there funding above SSI, for elderly physically disabled?

asked 2015-12-08 08:26:03 -0800

updated 2016-01-21 20:54:08 -0800

Heather gravatar image

I had been employed part-time recently, that supplemented my low Income enough; an extra $2000 to $3000 yearly, to allow my spouse and me to get by. Now, at age 87, I have been afflicted with hand disability that as a mechanic renders me unemployable. Our resultant income seems to come up somewhat short of our livelihood needs, and we are slipping toward unredeemable debt.  Is there any sustained government or other aid that would continue us til our demise?

edit retag flag offensive close merge delete

1 answer

Sort by » oldest newest most voted

answered 2015-12-08 08:49:16 -0800

Mark gravatar image

So sorry Just Plain Fritz, this is a tough one. I admire the fact that you have been able to bring in extra income and so sorry about your hand problem. 

We're not aware of special programs which could increase your current monthly SSI payments. But there are many programs that aid the elderly and anyone who is getting by a low income. You may not like the idea of signing up for some of these programs but you have been paying into the system for a long time and should take advantage of whatever is out there for you. Two reviews that could help you find them:  one is about Grants for Seniors and it goes over not only grants and loans but services and financial aid that could be available. It can also point you to a questionnaire you can fill out to be sure you are getting all the benefits for which you are eligible. 

edit flag offensive delete link more