USA Grants Banner

Are there grants for handicap home remodeling?

asked 2016-12-02 18:18:48 -0700

Suz64114 gravatar image

updated 2016-12-05 20:55:12 -0700

Emily gravatar image

I need to do some remodeling. My husband is newly handicapped and I want to bring him home. Are there any grants or assistance available for handicap home remodeling?

edit retag flag offensive close merge delete

1 answer

Sort by » oldest newest most voted

answered 2016-12-14 14:52:48 -0700

Emily gravatar image

- Home improvement projects that are required because of a person's disability are often eligible for grants or assistance programs. Take a look at the government site regarding benefits and services for the disabled and their caregivers

- If you live in a rural area you might be able to get a HUD repair and rehabilitation grant. Check with your state's housing development agency or contact a local HUD (Housing & Urban Development) office.

- Finally, you may be able to refinance your home to a very low rate under the govrnment's HARP program. It has greatly reduced eligibility requirements, typically does not require an appraisal of your home, and it doesn't matter if your house is now worth more than your mortgage balance. You would end up with lower monthly mortgage payments and could spend your savings on your home improvement project. Or you might beable to take extra cash out with your new mortgage. Check out this resource about HARP eligibility .

edit flag offensive delete link more