USA Grants Banner

Is there a grant for someone on ssi to buy a house ?

asked 2016-03-13 18:17:57 -0800

Ernie55 gravatar image

updated 2016-04-04 14:25:17 -0800

Heather gravatar image

I am on SSI and I live in a goverment apartment.  I would like to know if there are grants to help me buy a cheap home? I do not have the money to buy one so I wonder if there is a grant for me?


edit retag flag offensive close merge delete

1 answer

Sort by » oldest newest most voted

answered 2016-03-19 11:21:39 -0800

Corey gravatar image

Well, Ernie, your chances probably are not good. There are government and private programs that help people buy houses. But typically you need to have at least some money you can put down and enough income to pay for a low interest mortgage. However, don't give up before you look into it further. There may be some state or local programs in your area that could help you. I would recommend that you check out this article about grants to buy a house. In the section called "Housing Counseling" you can find out how to telephone an agency of the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) and get some free couseling and advice specific to your situation and where you live.

edit flag offensive delete link more