USA Grants Banner

Help for homeless, 55-yr. old female on SSI Disability?

asked 2014-10-13 09:51:23 -0800

jbarbara7164 gravatar image

updated 2015-02-18 16:46:53 -0800

Webmaster gravatar image

I am a 55 year old homeless female. I recieve SSI Disability every month and have been trying to save what I can. But it is so hard after paying for my meds and places to stay.

I have applied with my local HUD office but nothing is avaliable. I am on the waiting list but it could be 6 months to 1 year for an apartment. Is there a program that could help me get a home and help with up-front costs for a place to live (deposits for rent, utilities etc.)?

I did rent a 12x34 shed  and planned to fix it up to live in. But I can't handle the up-front costs and was told a different story than I was promised after having it delivered. My heart is broken over that. My problems only got worse. Please can someone give me advice on a program that can help me.

I live in Tennesse.

Thank you.

edit retag flag offensive close merge delete


What city/county/state do you live in? Local help is often best.

Grant ( 2014-10-13 16:54:05 -0800 )edit

2 answers

Sort by » oldest newest most voted

answered 2014-10-14 17:42:46 -0800

Megan gravatar image

Thanks for editing your answer and indicating you live in Tennesse. Here's some Tennesse housing grants related resources for you:

  • The Tennesse Housing Development Agency has a Housing Choice Voucher program that gives you money to pay for rentals in the private market. Depending on your income you may qualify. The program operates in 72 counties and out of 4 regional offices. (Maybe this is program you've already applied for?)
  • HUD has an Affordable Apartment Search in Tennesse website. I tried indicating that I was disabled and needed one bedroom. There over one hundred opportunities displayed. Most of those included an email and phone number for contact.
  • HUD also has a Public Housing Program. Given your disability, you almost certainly qualify. Available housing ranges from single family homes to apartment sky-rises. Contact the Public Housing Administrator in Tennesse based on your nearest city.

While doing research, I found the Tennesse Help for Families page which I had a lot of great tips and resources. I think the best recommendations there are to call 2-1-1 (like 4-1-1 but for guidance) and locate your nearest Human Services Office.

Feel free to leave a comment if you've tried any or all of those resources. And let us know if any of these help you.

edit flag offensive delete link more

answered 2014-10-14 09:24:28 -0800

Nancy gravatar image

Though we don't know where you live we can offer some general sources of assistance and referrals that could help you:

  • Contact the nearest office of the Salvation Army. In some cities, such as Denver, they run a Family and Senior Homeless Initiative that provides financial support for housing as well as mentoring groups.
  • Look for a Community Action Agency in your county. They provide information and referrals, emergency services, meals, and job training & job creation. They cover 96% if the counties in the U.S. and you can search by state on the Community Action Program website.
  • Look for a Catholic Charities office near you. They are a great source of direct help as well as information and referrals regardless of your religion. You could also check with churches in  your area. If they don't provide direct support they probably know what local egencies could be helpful to you.
edit flag offensive delete link more