USA Grants Banner

Can I get a grant to take college courses if I am disabled?

asked 2016-02-01 08:15:00 -0800

Dawn gravatar image

updated 2016-02-01 20:31:03 -0800

Adria gravatar image

I am 57 years old and disabled. I was wondering if I could get a grant to take some college courses?

edit retag flag offensive close merge delete

1 answer

Sort by » oldest newest most voted

answered 2016-02-02 07:54:18 -0800

Adria gravatar image

Good news, Adria, yes you can -- probably! There is a lot of educational financial aid out there in the forms of loans, grants, work-study programs and scholarships. The only actual government "grant" for education is the Pell Grant, which is provided based on income. If you qualify based on having a low income you could get a pell grant that could be as much as just a little under $6,000. You con't have to comopete based on your academic record, you just apply and if your income is low enough you can get a grant. And the earlier you fill out the application the more you could be awarded. Check out Qualify for a Pell Grant to learn more.

You should also check out the government site It is very up-to-date and lets you search for the type of assistance you need, including education. And you can look for resources right down to your local level. You can find a good review of here. It's really an excellent site and you might even find other local resources that could help you out.

Finally, look for grants or scholarships that are specifically for older women who want to go back to school to change or enhance their careers or to go back to work. This is a good article about grants for women. That one could be an education in itself! Good luck!

edit flag offensive delete link more