USA Grants Banner

Is there help with paying rent that the landlord raised beyond what you can afford?

asked 2019-05-14 16:17:02 -0700

shorty gravatar image

updated 2019-05-20 20:25:22 -0700

Doris gravatar image

I got papers that my landlord is raising the rent to an enormous amount. He jacked the rent up an extra $400 per month and he knows I can't afford that kind of money. I work but don't make that kind of money. I still have to be able to pay my bills and get my medication that I need to live and buy food to eat. I have talked to him. He doesn't care. He only worried about getting more money. I asked about rent assistance and they said they don't have it.  I asked about low income housing and they said they only help 55 and older. What's going on? Where's the help for people who are trying? I should let you know that I don't have any kids and I have lived in this place for 14 years. I have looked at places and I can't afford $600 to $1,000 rents. I need to stay by the bus line. I work in Oak Creek but live in Milwaukee. Is there any help out there? Please, any information, I would appreicate it. Is there help with paying rent that the landlord raised beyond what you can afford?

edit retag flag offensive close merge delete

2 answers

Sort by » oldest newest most voted

answered 2019-05-22 13:44:46 -0700

Doris gravatar image

Sorry for your predicament. You could try contacting a Legal Aid office near you and see if there is anything they can suggest to help you --- or if perhaps see whether your landlord is within his legal rights. Also take a look at this review of Low Income Help and be sure to scroll all the way down to the section about Housing.

edit flag offensive delete link more

Your Answer

Please start posting anonymously - your entry will be published after you log in or create a new account.

Add Answer