USA Grants Banner

Are there grants to start a Music Therapy program in public schools in Indiana?

asked 2019-04-07 17:41:31 -0800

lp9093 gravatar image

Indiana is one of the few states that do not pay for Music Therapy services within the public school systems.  There are a very few individuals receiving music therapy services but only through the Medicaid Waiver program.  I have a Music Therapy degree and an Elementary Education degree.  I would like to combine these degrees and provide one year of Music Therapy services in the elementary schools of the Hamilton Southeastern Schools in Fishers, Indiana, where I am currently employed as a teacher.  

Indiana has generally been behind the mental health services.  I would like the opportunity to provide services for students already identified with diagnoses and IEP goals to help them become more successful in academic, behavioral, social, emotional, and mental health progress.  Services would include assessment, tailored behavior analysis and music therapy activities to achieve these non-music goals.  Activities would be held outside the classroom and eventually within to promote generalization of these skills.

Is there help for the public school system in Indiana?

edit retag flag offensive close merge delete

2 answers

Sort by » oldest newest most voted

answered 2019-04-23 08:36:44 -0800

Mary gravatar image

Though it doesn't sound like you have much hope that you can get help from your state, your state's website would be a good place to start looking. Many states receive block grants from the federal government which they then use to provide grants to people and organizations that support the community -- so start there.

Your goals are so worthy you might also have good results if you start a crowdfunding campaign. You can get information about crowdfunding in general as well as a discussion of different platforms and their areas of focus in this article about crowdfunding and other sources of financial support.

edit flag offensive delete link more