USA Grants Banner

How can we get a grant to repair our home damaged by a hurricane?

asked 2017-11-04 22:10:24 -0800

tabalinasmomma gravatar image

updated 2017-11-06 21:41:20 -0800

Susan gravatar image

Our roof was damaged and now leaks. We also have black mold developing. And we need other repairs to the house and also to build ramps as I am disabled. The lady that owns the trailer is a 74 year old widow. So we are both on disability. FEMA has been no help and we have no insurance. Please help us.

Our roof was damaged due to hurricane Irma and now we have several leaks as well as black mold beginning to form. We need to replace the roof, plus remove sheet rock, and boards in one room (where the mold is) plus replace flooring. Plus also need to build ramps as I am disabled and the lady that owns this trailer who also lives here is a 74 year-old widow. We are both on fixed income and have no insurance. FEMA did not give us enough to even replace the roof.

How can we get a grant to repair our home damaged by a hurricane?

edit retag flag offensive close merge delete

1 answer

Sort by » oldest newest most voted

answered 2017-11-08 11:52:04 -0800

Susan gravatar image


Many states offer programs to help people in your situation -- particularly when there are health issues involved. That black mold should be a concern, and the fact that seniors and disability are involved could also qualify you for help. Get in touch with your nearest Area Aging Agency -- if you can't find it you can call 1-800-677-1116 for help getting contact information.

You could also see if you can find a local office of the organization Rebuilding Together -- they help the elderly and the disabled with home repairs. And you might also contact local churches since some of them have ministries that provide home repairs.

If you don't have insurance you might be able to get some casualty loss assisance via the IRS -- get some more detail at Home Repair Help.



edit flag offensive delete link more