USA Grants Banner

How can I get paid for taking care of my disabled mom since I cannot work?

asked 2015-06-25 00:50:17 -0800

318dena gravatar image

updated 2015-06-27 12:21:19 -0800

Nancy gravatar image

My mom cannot walk for a month now. I cannot work, as I have to care for her. Are there any programs to help?

edit retag flag offensive close merge delete

1 answer

Sort by » oldest newest most voted

answered 2015-06-27 12:32:05 -0800

Denise gravatar image

updated 2015-07-07 20:29:13 -0800

Webmaster gravatar image

There are some potential options for you to be paid for caregiving (though labor unions are fighting the main one in court). Most states have programs that allow a Medicare waiver and pay you directly for your care (about $10/hour). However, to qualify, your parent would have to be eligible for Medicaid. 

If your mom has long term care insurance you can check to see if it allows for payments to an in-home caregiver. This is not typical as these types of policies are very expensive -- but it's worth checking into.

Finally, your mother could pay you directly. If you go this route you need to have a formal caregiving agreement so you can prove that she is paying you for specific services rather than giving you a gift. She would also have to pay your the going rate for caregiving services. You must report the income on your tax return and she must report the payments on hers. 

It's a tough situation. Whatever you do be sure to take a look at the government site about help  for people with disabilities to be sure your mom is getting all the free or almost free benefits and services she can.

edit flag offensive delete link more