USA Grants Banner

Is there a grant that can be given half way through a masters program?

asked 2015-03-20 11:05:23 -0800

updated 2015-03-24 15:40:15 -0800

Webmaster gravatar image

My masters program doesn't end until August, and the money I was using to pay for rent and groceries has recently been cut by the U.S. Government. Someone else has had to pay for my groceries for the past two months, and I've started a fundraiser for my rent payment due next month but it hasn't made enough to even cover half of it yet.

edit retag flag offensive close merge delete

1 answer

Sort by » oldest newest most voted

answered 2015-03-25 19:08:28 -0800

Maurice gravatar image

Not sure what type of assistance was cut off by the government as they are the most obvious choice for finding financial aid for school. If you have not already done so you should check their financial aid website, particularly the section about grad school help.  Even if you have checked that out already, your next step should be to set up an appointment with an advisor in the financial aid office where your masters program is. They are experts on this topic and can advise you not only about possible government support you might have overlooked but also about other types of scholarships, loans and grants that may be available.

On a very different note, you might be able to find other ways to raise additional cash. If you have a car in reasonable condition and have some free periods on your hands, you might consider something like driving for Uber. It sounds like people can make $10-$20 or more per hour and you can set your own hours (just turn your app on or off depending on whether you are available to provide rides). I haven't tried filling out an application but it appears to be easy to do online. Check them out at  You might also check out some other cash-raising ideas (and caveats) in this article.


edit flag offensive delete link more